For any automated tool implementation, the following are the phases/stages of it. Each one of the stages corresponds to a particular activity and each phase has a definite outcome.
- Test Automation Feasibility Analysis − First step is to check if the application can be automated or not. Not all applications can be automated due to its limitations.
- Appropriate Tool Selection − The next most important step is the selection of tools. It depends on the technology in which the application is built, its features and usage.
- Evaluate the suitable framework − Upon selecting the tool, the next activity is to select a suitable framework. There are various kinds of frameworks and each framework has its own significance. We will deal with frameworks in detail later in this tutorial.
- Build Proof of Concept − Proof of Concept (POC) is developed with an end-to-end scenario to evaluate if the tool can support the automation of the application. It is performed with an end-to-end scenario, which ensures that the major functionalities can be automated.
- Develop Automation Framework − After building the POC, framework development is carried out, which is a crucial step for the success of any test automation project. Framework should be built after diligent analysis of the technology used by the application and also its key features.
- Develop Test Script, Execute, and Analyze − Once Script development is completed, the scripts are executed, results are analyzed and defects are logged, if any. The Test Scripts are usually version controlled.